Sunday, September 29, 2013

Practical Organics

The other day I went outdoors and noticed the evidence one of "those worms!"  I've heard them called everything from tobacco worms to horned worms and it's what I picture in the 2nd chapter of Joel and the 4th chapter of Jonah.  I call this creature a cankerworm!  They can truly wipe out a plant in no time, leaving just the bare stalks wilting in their path of destruction.  They are green, so they are very difficult to see, but the evidence of their presence is unmistakable.

The other day, my one and only Cherokee purple tomato plant had been invaded by one of these cankerworms.  I noticed it before too much damage had occurred, so I rushed to find this horrible creature, only to have this worm, literally become aggressive with me!   I went to pick it off the tomato vine and it literally "swung at me."  Remember they have a rather sharp horn that protrudes about 1/2 inch and I did not want that in my finger.  I realized at that moment why chemical pesticides have become so popular, especially with Big Ag.  A person couldn't go through acres and acres of tomatoes doing hand to horn combat with these vicious worms!  I also realized, in that event, how truly wonderful organic farming is.

The timing of our Creator is exquisite.  Early in the season when the hens have their little broods, those little chicks are in and out of the garden eating bugs.  Chickens do enjoy brightly colored fruits and veggies as much as I do though, but once the produce begins to ripen, the chicks have become too big to get through the fence.  With bugs having been consumed through the early part of the season, there aren't many in the garden or orchard, until these green ugly worms show up.  The grasshoppers don't like my natural pesticide, and I learned the other day, although the chickens cannot enjoy access to the garden through tomato season, they will gladly jump on a cankerworm I throw out of the garden.

The life cycle designed by our Creator is truly exquisite.  A reminder to us humans, we been entrusted to maintain it!
And YHWH Elohim took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it.  Torah of Holy Scripture 


No comments:

Post a Comment